Hi, I'm Jordan.
I live in California with my husband and three kids. I'm an avid reader, travel enthusiast, and music lover. My current job title is stay-at-home-mom, so things can get a little crazy around our place.
I'm an aspiring YA writer and I just finished my first novel, a YA contemporary that takes place in Hawaii. You see, that's where I grew up.
This is me in the backyard of my childhood home.
Here's my pitch for THE WAY OUR HORIZONS MEET (86,500)
Kam transforms from a homeschooled cowboy to a Hawaiian prince—all in the course of one summer. On his eighteenth birthday, Kam is shocked to find out not only that he was adopted, but that his Hawaiian birth parents were killed when he was an infant. Feeling like his world has been upended, he sees no other recourse than to leave his home in rural California and go on a journey to learn more about his parents and just what happened to them in the so-called “Paradise of the Pacific.” Once he arrives in Oahu, he meets Lily, a seventeen-year-old professor’s daughter who is intrigued by his quest and agrees to help him and to be his guide.
With the help of Glenn, Lily’s best friend and secret admirer, Kam and Lily discover that Kam descends from Hawaiian royalty, making him heir to a contested plot of land in Waikiki. The previous heir, Kam’s great-uncle, recently died, and the property will go to auction unless Kam claims it in time. The greedy leaders of Paradise Development Group will stop at nothing to get property rights to the land, including eliminating Kam like they staged his parents’ “car accident.” Unless Kam and Lily can prove the connections between Paradise Development Group and corrupt members of the Honolulu Police Department, they may become the next casualties.
Here are some reasons why I think I would make an excellent #PitchWars mentee:
- I have writing experience. Hopefully, that means less editing time for you and a stronger grasp of the English language on my part.
- I am passionate about my story. I wanted to capture the essence of living in Hawaii and the subtle beauty island life brings. I'm excited to share little-known Hawaiian history and folklore.
- While I categorize my novel as "contemporary," it includes a little bit of everything: mystery, adventure, romance, dysfunctional family dynamics, social issues, and cultural commentary.
- I am willing to work hard to get my novel published. I am dedicated and appreciate any feedback a mentor could provide.
And now, for the fun stuff:
- Favorite Books: Anything by Markus Zusak, the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown, anything by Jandy Nelson, Pure series by Julianna Baggott
- Books I'm Currently Reading: The Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard; Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond; The Girl at the Center of the World by Austin Aslan
- Favorite TV shows: Gilmore Girls, Once Upon a Time, So You Think You Can Dance, West Wing, Friday Night Lights, The Amazing Race, The Good Wife
- Favorite Music: I'm a big fan of singer/songwriters like Ingrid Michaelson, Marie Digby, Taylor Swift, Sara Bareilles, Ed Sheeran, etc...but I'm also a fan of emo stuff like Dashboard Confessional, Yellowcard, and Something Corporate.
- Favorite Movies: Pride and Prejudice (2005), Runaway Bride, the Bourne series, the Hunger Games series, The Fault in Our Stars, Napoleon Dynamite
- Favorite Destinations: Egypt, New Zealand, Italy, Hawaii (of course)
- Favorite Foods: spaghetti marinara, roasted Brussels sprouts, chicken, chocolate haupia pie, guava cake, and, of course, bread.